- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- High school diploma
About This Career
You love a good puzzle. You can look at a large number of pipes, tubes, spools, fittings, brackets and flanges and figure out where they fit in the big picture. Whether you’re dealing with piping or sprinkler systems, you need to assemble, maintain and repair storage vessels, pipes and spools. If working on large scale systems at a detailed level fits your style, maybe this is the career for you.
Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers assemble, maintain and repair storage vessels, pipes and spools for piping or sprinkler systems. They work with engineers who provide blueprints and welders who weld or solder pieces together.
Steamfitters and Pipefitters build and maintain piping systems used to produce or transport oil and gas. More specifically, they lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain and repair piping systems carrying water, steam, chemicals or fuel in oil and gas processing plants.
Sprinkler System Installers fabricate, install, test, maintain and repair fire protection sprinkler systems on commercial and industrial sites.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Reading and interpreting drawings, blueprints and specifications to plan the layout requirements and cutting openings for pipes in walls, floors and ceilings using power tools or machines
- Selecting the correct pipe sizes and types required to shape, weld, braze, cement, solder and thread joints to join pipes and fabricate sections of piping systems
- Cutting, threading and hammering pipes to specifications using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders or pipe benders
- Assembling and securing pipes, tubes, fittings or related equipment according to specifications by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering or threading joints
- Inspecting, examining and testing installed systems or pipelines using pressure gauges, hydrostatic testing, observation or other methods
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- Confined space entry
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
- Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is typically required to become a certified tradesperson
- Another route into apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program. In some provinces, both of these routes can begin in high school
You’re conscientious and curious. Math skills are an asset as you do a lot of measurements and calculations. You’re good at working with your hands and you’re strong at problem solving.
- Buiding and construction
- Selecting equipment
- Maintaining equipment
- Repairing machines and systems
- Public safety and security
- Working with others
- Installing equipment
- Planning and organizing
By Epsilon Industries Inc.
$16.00 to $30.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Marine Pipefitter
- Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter
- Pipefitter Apprentice
- Steamfitter Apprentice
Steamfitter, Pipefitter and Sprinkler System Installer SpotlightPosted
Steamfitters, Pipefitters and Sprinkler System Installers can look at a large number of pipes, tubes, spools, fittings, brackets and flanges and figur...Continue reading