- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- High school diploma
- Grade 10
About This Career
Lend a helping hand and getting your foot in the door. The job of a Swamper is a great introduction to the oil and gas industry. You help out where you’re needed and perform odd jobs on site as requested. This means that your role changes daily, and your tasks will depend on the people you’re working with. Do you like hands-on work? Do you like to pitch in and assist others? Are you someone who learns quickly on the job? If so, you may want to look at being a Swamper.
Swampers assist operators and other crew members with a variety of manual labour-related tasks, including the set-up and pull-down of rigs and equipment, pre- and post-trip inspections and maintaining an orderly and safe job site.
Swampers require physical strength and stamina to handle light and heavy equipment and assist in the use of tools and other devices. Swampers interact with Drilling and Service Rig Operators, as well as other labourers on site.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Loading and unloading job site equipment and materials
- Assisting Operators with general tasks on the job site
- Dismantling and assembling drilling rigs, service rigs, pump jacks, flare stacks, etc
- Assisting Truck Operators in conducting pre- and post-trip inspections
- Transporting equipment to and from the job site
- There are no specific educational requirements, however progressive experience is required to move up to more senior operating positions. A high school diploma may be required at the more senior levels.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- Confined space entry
- Traffic control
- Respirator fit testing
- Driver training
- Hazard identification
- Blowout prevention training
- A Class 5 driver's licence is required.
You are a quick learner who can follow directions. You have physical stamina and knowledge of safety standards and practices. You have strong interpersonal skills.
- Active listening
- Public safety and security
- Equipment maintenance
- Stress tolerance
- Service orientation
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting
- Mining and quarrying
- Transportation and warehousing
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Oil Field Labourer
- Truck Driver
- Rig Helper
The job of a Swamper is a great entrance to the oil and gas industry: they help where they’re needed and perform odd jobs around the work site. What a...Continue reading