- Exploration and production
- Oil sands
- Oil and Gas Services
- Petrochemicals and Refining
- Post-secondary degree
About This Career
Oil and gas and petrochemical facilities are complex with many interlinked machines, processors and people. In order to maintain production, each component requires regular inspections and maintenance. Turnaround Planners and Coordinators are responsible for the big picture and small details in planning for the maintenance of oil and gas and petrochemical facilities.
Turnaround Planners and Coordinators evaluate and prioritize maintenance and inspection requirements and develop plans to shut down, perform maintenance and start-up operations again once the turnaround work is complete. As part of their work, they also develop work scopes, prepare budgets and allocate human and material resources to ensure efficient turnarounds.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Prioritizing, planning, developing and scheduling multi-trade turnaround maintenance and integrated capital project activities.
- Preparing detailed execution plans for required activities for each specific work area within the scope of a turnaround.
- Maintaining an up-to-date list of maintenance requirements and procedures.
- Evaluating maintenance requirements and developing an overall scope and timeframe for turnaround work and related activities.
- Coordinating maintenance and inspection work timelines within operational requirements.
- Developing critical path actions for shutdown, turnaround and restart processes.
- Developing staff, contractor and equipment resource requirements for turnaround process.
- Completion of a university degree in a related engineering field, a technical college diploma in engineering technology or a trade or journeyman certificate in a mechanical field are usually required .
- Depending on the employer, Turnaround Planners/Coordinators may require experience with planning and estimating software such as SAP, Primavera, Prometheus, Microsoft Office.
- Building and Construction
- Customer and Personal Service
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Processing
- Works Safely
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Preventative Maintenance
- Equipment Selection
- Managing Material Resources
- Quality Control Analysis
- Professional Judgment and Decision Making
- Planning and Organizing
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Waste management and remediation services
This profile was funded by the Province of Alberta working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.Find out about PetroLMI
Also known as
- Construction Schedule Coordinator
- Production Controller
- Production Expediter
- Production Material Estimator
- Production Officer
Employment in Petrochemicals and RefiningPosted
Petrochemicals The chemical industry in Canada is a diverse group of companies that create everything from basic chemicals and synthetic fibres to p...Continue reading