- Exploration and production
- Oil and Gas Services
- High school diploma
About This Career
Valves regulate, direct and control the flow of oil and gas fluids… without valves, oil and gas simply wouldn’t flow. Or, it would flow the wrong direction or to the wrong place. A working valve can also shut down the flow altogether, which is important if something is not functioning as it should. You ensure the proper functioning of mechanical regulating and controlling devices such as safety and flow valves, electric meters, gas regulators and thermostats.
Valve Technicians are responsible for installing, maintaining, inspecting, testing, dismantling, cleaning, and repairing mechanical regulating and controlling devices used to control, direct and measure the flow of oil and gas at the wellhead through gathering lines, pipelines and in plants. This includes equipment such as electric meters, gas regulators, thermostats, safety and flow valves.
In this occupation activities may include:
- Checking manufactured items for defects visually, or using sample models and instruments
- Shutting off service and notifying repair crews when major repairs are required, such as the replacement of underground pipes or wiring
- Dismantling valves using hand and/or power tools
- Undertaking exterior refinishing to protect repaired valves from field conditions
- Installing regulators and related equipment such as gas meters, odorization
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is required. Mechanical aptitude along with specific technical training on valves and valve repair is an asset. Some employers will prefer a diploma in instrumentation, electrical, electrical or mechanical engineering technology.
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- A Class 5 driver's licence and clean driving record
You’re a master troubleshooter and tester of valves. You enjoy completing repairs and have an aptitude for mechanics.
- Maintaining equipment
- Quality control analysis
- Repairing machines and systems
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Installing equipment
- Active listening
- Document use
Similar careers also exist in the following industries
- High Technology
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Military (MOSID)
- Petrochemical Manufacturing
- Renewable Energy/Clean Technology
- Supply Chain
By Epsilon Industries Inc.
$55,000.00 to $65,000.00 annually (to be negotiated)View Job
By Cross Industries Ltd.
$90,000.00 to $120,000.00 annually (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Valve Assembler
- Field Service Technician
- Service Technician
- Pipeline Technician
PetroLMI launches enhanced website to support Canadians pursuing oil and gas careersPosted
CALGARY – The PetroLMI Division of Energy Safety Canada has launched an enhanced website with added features to help Canadians pursue new or different...Continue reading