- Oil and Gas Services
- Oil sands
- High school diploma
About This Career
Welding fuses metal parts together, which is a vital function when it comes to oil and gas-related construction, operations or maintenance projects. And, where there is welding, you can often find a Welders Helper.
These labourers assist skilled welders by performing labour intensive duties such as supplying or holding materials or tools, cleaning work areas and equipment. Often, but not always, a Welders Helper is an apprentice welder working towards completing their apprenticeship program.
Safety is a significant part of the job as working around or with heat and open flames can present hazards.
In this occupation, activities may include:
- Assisting workers in welding, brazing and thermal and arc cutting activities.
- Moving and gathering work pieces (pipe materials), setting up pipe, and helping fir spools.
- Interpreting blueprints or drawings.
- Lifting or moving heavy materials such as pieces of pipe, equipment or sheet metal.
- High school *
- Often Welders Helpers are enrolled in an apprenticeship program
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- Confined space entry
- Welders helpers are often within a three- to five-year apprenticeship program, working towards completing this program which is required to become a certified tradesperson.
- Must pass a pre-employment Drug & Alcohol test
- Class 5 driver’s license with clean drivers abstract
- Some experience as a general construction labourer may be required for construction trade helpers.
- Some pipeline welders helpers may require one season of experience in oil and gas pipeline construction.
- Works Safely
- Interpreting Documents/Plans
- Mechanical Operation
- Equipment Selection
- Making or Manufacturing
- Attention to Detail
- Mining and quarrying
Driller Helper - Surface Mining
By Kluane Drilling Ltd.
$22.00 to $26.00 hourly (to be negotiated)View Job
Related Careers in Oil & Gas
Also known as
- Welder-fitter Helper
- Construction Helper
- Construction Labourer
- Boilermaker Helper
- Metal Structure Fitter Helper
- Metal-Fabricating Shop Helper
Welders Helper SpotlightPosted
Welding fuses metal parts together, which is a vital function when it comes to oil and gas-related construction, operations or maintenance projects. A...Continue reading