About This Career
Administrative Assistants perform a variety of administrative duties in support of an organization and its managerial professionals. These duties may include maintaining file systems, coordinating schedules, preparing correspondence and presentations, handling confidential information, arranging conference calls, and preparing agendas and meeting minutes. Administrative Assistants interact with many others from different departments across an organization, as well as with clients, suppliers, executives and the public. Computers and office equipment such as photocopiers, scanners and fax machines are their primary tools. Administrative Assistants often use accounting software, desktop and graphic software, database and enterprise management software.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is employed in the exploration and production, oil sands, oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Education: Administrative Assistants require a high school diploma and a 1- to 2-year college diploma or specialized administrative certificate. Several years of experience is typically required.
Example titles: Secretary, Technical Secretary, Executive Assistant and Office Administrative Assistant.
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
Mild Physical Activity
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Rail transportation
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Warehousing and storage
- Wood product manufacturing
Business and Operations Support
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Strong computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint