About This Career
Boilermakers construct, assemble, maintain and repair stationary steam boilers, heat exchangers, liquefied natural gas (LNG) processing trains, tanks and vessels. They also test, inspect, repair and maintain these metal structures.
Boilermakers bring a combination of welding, fabricating and pipefitting to a fabrication, construction or turnaround maintenance job. They align structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats by following blue print instructions.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Boiler Fitter, Boiler Installer, Boilermaker Apprentice, Construction Boilermaker, Industrial Boilermaker, Pressure Vessel Fabricator
- Supervisory positions
- Quality control and quality assurance
- There are no recent job postings
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- Turnaround maintenance
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings (residential and non-residential)
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Transportation equipment manufacturing
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program is typically required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route to apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program. In most provinces, both of these routes can begin in high school.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the Red Seal examination.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- H2S Alive
- Confined space entry
- Respirator fit testing
- Fall protection