About This Career
As a member of the oilfield services team, Cementing Operators operate the equipment used to pump cement into an oil or gas well that secures the steel pipe or casing and provides structural integrity to the wellbore. The cement also prevents the transfer of liquids from the wellbore into groundwater.
Cement Operators perform calculations to determine the amount of cement mix and additives required, using the depth, pressure, volume of cement required and specific purpose in their calculations.
They must be able to transport equipment to and from the well location, safely rig in and operate the equipment, perform day-to-day inspections, servicing and maintenance of equipment, and complete all required paperwork accurately and on-time.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required. Basic mechanical skills and heavy hauling or off-road driving experience are assets to the job.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Cementing Operator Assistant, Cementing Bulk Material, Cementing Service Operator
- There are no recent job postings
Long Periods of Standing
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Truck transportation
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Class 1 licence (with air brake endorsement) and a clean driving record
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test