About This Career
Civil Engineering Technologists assist engineers in planning, designing, constructing and maintaining a wide variety of oil and gas facilities. These facilities may include production plants, pumping and compressor stations, pipelines, storage facilities, tanks and reservoirs, oil and gas well sites, offshore drilling and production rigs and oil sands surface mining sites.
Typical roles in this occupation include:
- Civil Construction Engineering Technologists oversee construction projects, which includes developing work plans and estimates, selecting contractors and inspecting and reporting on projects.
- Mining or Tailings Civil Engineering Technologists provide technological services for surface water hydrology and hydraulics, drainage, flood control, water supply, dam and industrial water or wastewater process design.
- Materials and Geotechnical Technologists design, test and apply the use of materials such as rock, soil, concrete, steel, timber, asphalt, metals and polymers to engineering construction projects.
- Drafting/CADD/3D Modeling Technologists create conceptual and detailed engineering designs, drawings and calculations for a variety of structures.
- Survey Technologists develop survey and mapping standards. They also inspect survey contractor work and review survey findings.
Education: A post-secondary diploma in civil engineering technology (or a related discipline) is typically required. Some programs emphasize a particular sub-discipline, such as environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, water resources surveying or construction.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil sands, exploration and production (E&P), oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Civil Designer, Civil Engineering Assistant, Civil Engineering Designer, Construction Analyst, Engineering Assistant, Project Technologist, Tailings Technologist
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET)
- Professional Technologist (P. Tech)
- Qualified Professional (QP)
- Technical Specialist
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Posted on Aug 14 2019
By canada's restoration servicesConcord Dependant upon experience
Civil engineering technician
Posted on Aug 14 2019
By gemtec consulting engineers and scientists limitedPetawawa Dependant upon experience
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings (non-residential and residential)
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma
- Certification as an engineering technologist is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and may be required by some employers.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- H2S Alive
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Other health and safety training requirements to be determined by specific job requirements