About This Career
Drafting Technologists prepare engineering designs and drawings in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers. This expertise addresses operational, conceptual, design and construction drawing needs, and includes the management of drawings and drawing control across areas of the organization.
Education: A post-secondary diploma in engineering design and drafting technology is typically required. Programs related to AutoCAD operation, engineering design and drafting or GIS and CADD integration are preferred.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production, oil sands, and oil and gas services sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) and Drafting Technologist, Design and Drafting Technologist, Engineering Design and Drafting Technologist, Mechanical Draftsperson, Computer Aided Design (CAD) Operator, CAD Specialist, Document Controller, Piping Designer, Civil Engineering Technologist, Process Designer/Technologist
- Civil Design, Construction Management and Project Management
- Designer, Senior Designer, Senior Design Team Lead
- Drafting technologists may, with experience, advance to supervisory and management positions or go on to establish their own design and drafting companies.
- Examples of progressive or lateral occupations within the Oil and Gas industry:
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Posted on Feb 13 2019
By enns gauthier landscape architects ltd.Vancouver Dependant upon experience
Detailer - structural steel drafter
Posted on Feb 13 2019
By cadd alta drafting and design incEdmonton Dependant upon experience
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- LNG export facility operations
- Natural gas pipeline construction
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Construction of buildings (non-residential and residential)
- Drafting Technologists have highly transferable skills, including to:
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Machinery manufacturing
- Mining and quarrying
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Rail transportation
- Specialty trades contractors
- Transportation equipment manufacturing
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Warehousing and storage
- Wood product manufacturing
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
- Post-secondary diploma
- Trade certification for draftspersons is available.
- Certification in engineering design and drafting technology or in a related field through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists may be required by employers.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.