About This Career
There are two types of Ironworkers – Generalist Ironworkers and Reinforcing Ironworkers.
Generalist Ironworkers live on the edge working at the highest points of structural ironwork. They hoist, bolt, fasten, cut, bend, weld and erect components for giant storage tanks, towers and other oil and gas structures.
Reinforcing Ironworkers reinforce the structural integrity at the very foundation of a building or plant. They cut, bend, lay out, install and weld rebar and wire fabric to increase the tension of structures.
Both are involved in almost every part of construction in the oil and gas industry working on projects ranging from LNG export facilities to natural gas processing plants to offshore rigs. They both also play a role in repairing and maintaining oil and gas facilities.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Structural Steel Erector, Fitter, Rigger, Steel Fabricator, Steel Worker, Structural Steel Erector, Tower Hand
- Supervisory positions
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a
key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- Natural gas pipeline construction
- Turnaround maintenance
When LNG takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Working from Heights
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings (residential and non-residential)
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program is required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route into apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Fall protection
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- Aerial lift training