About This Career
Seismic Labourers assist in various aspects in the four phases of seismic operations: surveying, line clearing, seismic drilling and data acquisition and recording. They are also instrumental in supporting more specialized positions on the crews. This occupation is considered an entry-level position. Seismic Labourers often develop on-the-job skills and are provided training that allows for movement into higher skilled or more responsible positions.
The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Chainer's Assistants help measure, map and locate drilling locations.
- Surveyor's Assistants help collect and process survey readings.
- Locator's Assistants help find and document all buried utilities.
- Packers clear debris from seismic lines and help move equipment.
- Driller's Helpers assist with drilling holes and placing charges.
- Lineworkers place, remove, load and unload all seismic recording equipment.
Education: A high school diploma is preferred by employers but not necessary.
Employment: This occupation works in both onshore and offshore environments and is employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Surveyor’s Helper and Assistant, Locator’s Helper and Assistant, Driller’s Helper and Assistant, Packer, Jug Stomper, Bag Runner
- Chainsaw Buckers or Fallers
- Field Equipment Coordinators
- GPS Surveyors or Rovers
- Seismic Drillers
- Seismic Observers
- Shooters or Blasters
- Utilities Locators
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Floorhand - service rig
Posted on Feb 15 2019
By savanna well servicing inc.Leduc Dependant upon experience
Wireline helper - oil field services
Posted on Feb 15 2019
By command fishing & pipe recovery ltd.Grande prairie Dependant upon experience
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Oil and gas services
- Grade 10
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- A valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record may be required, depending on the company and role
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical assessment and drug test