About This Career
Stakeholder Relations Professionals play an important role in cultivating and maintaining relationships with key community stakeholders, Aboriginal communities and interest groups that affect, or are affected by, industry activity. They are often responsible for the development and implementation of projects and plans that support a company’s social licence to operate.
- Stakeholder Relations and Aboriginal Relations Advisors identify which stakeholder groups, such as Aboriginal communities, should be engaged with, and to what extent, typically on a project-by-project basis. They execute engagement activities to obtain input and feedback on issues or concerns.
- Socio-Economic Impact Assessment Specialists perform work to understand, evaluate and develop strategies to manage the economic, cultural and social impacts of industry activity on communities.
- Investor Relations Specialists work proactively with key individuals and groups to ensure the company is optimally valued and resourced. They work at promoting the company and increasing shareholder value with investors.
Education: A post-secondary diploma or degree in a relevant field is typically required for most Stakeholder Relations roles. Areas of study can include public relations, communications, journalism, anthropology, international relations, geography, environmental design, law, business, sociology, psychology, petroleum land management or a related discipline. A graduate or doctoral degree in social sciences, anthropology, public policy or environmental studies with a focus on Aboriginal communities may be required for jobs that specialize in socio-economic impact assessments.
Employment: This occupation is found onshore and is typically employed in the exploration and production (E&P), oil sands, oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Aboriginal Relations Advisor, Community and Aboriginal Affairs Advisor and/or Liaison, Communications Advisor/Consultant/Representative, Community Business Coordinator, Community Information Officer, Investor Relations Specialist and Coordinator, Social Performance Advisor.
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Posted on Feb 16 2019
By bristartexpress international consulting ltdMarkham Dependant upon experience
Communication officer (except emergency services)
Posted on Jan 31 2019
By fossil landscapes ltd.Etobicoke Dependant upon experience
High Stress Situations
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Forestry and logging
- Mining and quarrying
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Business and Operations Support
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma
- Specific health and safety certifications will be determined by job requirements